The six south west London CCGs together with NHS England (who commission specialist and primary care services in south west London) are working together under the umbrella name of South West London Collaborative Commissioning to develop a five-year strategy for the local NHS in south west London.
The six CCGs are:
A five-year plan for healthcare in south west London
The NHS faces a number of challenges in the years ahead.
- There are 1.45 million people living in south west London
- The population is ageing and up to a third of people are living with long term conditions, meaning we need to provide more and better care out of hospital and closer to where people live
- None of our hospitals in south west London meet all the minimum safety and quality standards set out by clinicians based on Royal College guidance – the London Quality Standards
- There is a variation in the quality of care between different hospitals and different times of the day, week and year
- The NHS is unlikely to be given extra money in the foreseeable future, yet the costs of providing healthcare are rising much faster than the rate of inflation
- We need to reshape mental health services so that they achieve the highest possible standards and are focused primarily in the community
- We need to ensure that primary care and other community-based services meet the highest possible standards
- We need to do more to prevent people becoming ill and to provide better information to patients about where to get help when
The six CCGs are working together on a long term plan to overcome these challenges and to improve the quality of care in South West London.
The CCGs will also be working closely with the south west London Hospital, Community and Mental Health Trusts, clinicians and local authorities (through public health, social care and their health and wellbeing boards) in the development of the strategy. They will also be involving local community and voluntary sector groups.
The strategy was published in June 2014 and a summary of the key points is available here.
The full document is also available to download 5 year strategy document